This is what you’ve been looking for – Come work for one of the most renowned performance parts manufacturers in motorsports. It’s a dream job for anyone who wants to be on a winning team that always stays one step ahead of the competition. Surround yourself with supercars like the Lamborghini Huracan, Nissan GTR, and Audi R8 as an AMS Engineer, in a position as fast paced as the vehicles we build.
We are a rapidly growing medium size business with a small family-owned feel, operating in the western suburbs of Chicago, and are looking for talented people to join our team. At AMS we specialize in automotive aftermarket performance parts and packages for turbocharged vehicles, with our goal being to provide the highest quality, best performing products available by utilizing extensive research and development paired with rigorous testing programs. AMS is an engineering driven organization (our founder is an engineer), and offers an exciting atmosphere, great pay, excellent health benefits, 401k, and other unique perks. We will never compromise the quality or performance of our products and will only provide the finest customer service by offering advice and parts that are in the best interest of the customer. If you love the world of motorsports, it does not get any better than this!
As a Mechanical Engineer on our Product Development team, you will design new and exciting products for our current and future vehicle platforms. These products can range from turbocharger kits to swaybars, and anything in between. You will kick-off the development process by creating a well-scoped product charter, and once approved, create CAD parts, assemblies, and drawings. Utilizing in-house rapid prototyping and computational simulation resources, you will validate that fit, form, and function are aligned with the project intent. With the design work largely complete, you will work with our vendor network to produce sample and production components. In order to gear up for high volume production, you will leverage our fabrication team’s experience to design and produce fixtures, check jigs, and inspection processes that enable sustainable and efficient manufacturing to take place. Engineering support continues after the product is released via design revisions, vendor resourcing, and cost-save initiatives.
- Create 3D parts and assemblies in Solidworks
- Produce 2D manufacturing drawings
- Utilize 3D printed parts to confirm fitment
- Create manufacturing fixtures and fitment jigs
- Optimize part design based on manufacturing method and material (injection molding, CNC, carbon fiber, etc.)
- Project Management
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Adhere to pre-defined timelines and milestones and escalate deviations to the appropriate level of management
- Thorough documentation of project development using tools such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat, and basic photography
- Oversee project budget and document resource allocation
- Create and manage Bill of Material
- Generates Requests for Quote
- Place sample and first production orders with vendors
- Approve first article parts
- Publish marketing specification workbooks
- Enter part and assembly information into Quickbooks
- Conduct product training sessions with sales and marketing staff
- Create 2D inspection drawings
- Implement QC inspection training for new products
- Provide direction on appropriate manufacturing process controls (manual and automated)
- Complete DFMEA and PFEMA documentation
- Manage DVP&R completion
- Perform root cause analysis of in-process and field failures
- Advise on technical aspects of containment actions and prevent recurrence
- Testing and Verification
- Utilize CFD and CAE simulation software to validate design assumptions align with analytical calculations
- Perform hands-on component, system, and vehicle level validation of attributes and performance
- Execute standard testing procedures to ensure concurrence with simulation and analytical results
The ideal candidate must be self-driven, hardworking, and have a good understanding of mechanical systems. They must also have the ability to work efficiently and effectively to ensure all details are accounted for during the development process. They must be a team player and work well with others. Effective communication skills are necessary in order to ensure project timelines and goals are established and met. Experience in the automotive performance industry is a plus, but not required. Comfort in a dynamic development environment is needed in order to facilitate shifts in priorities.
- Minimum of 2 years in design engineering role (5 years preferred)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related field
- Proficiency with Solidworks
- Formula SAE experience a major plus
- Experience with DFM, GD&T, and precision measuring tools/techniques
- Six Sigma Green or Black belt certification a plus
- Understanding of automotive mechanical systems
- Experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Hands-on experience with machining, fabrication, and welding a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to perform mechanical work on cars (i.e. build, install, and test fit parts)
- We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Benefits & Compensation
- Compensation varies based on experience
- Out-of-state relocation packages offered
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- New hire referral program
Great careers like this come once in a lifetime. Don’t let this one pass you by. Please send a resume and a brief letter explaining why you’re the ideal candidate for the position to [email protected]. In your letter please include your responses to the following:
- Are you able to commute to our headquarters daily?
- Are you authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship?
- Please tell us about your experience or interest with motorsports, racing, performance vehicles, or modifying vehicles. Personal or professional is acceptable.
- Would you rather play a small role in a large project, or a large role in a small project? Why?
******TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME AND ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS LISTED ABOVE TO [email protected]. PLEASE READ THE JOB DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS CAREFULLY. CANDIDATES WHO DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS, OR WHO DO NOT SEND THEIR ANSWERS IN WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED******