The AMS/NOS Energy Drink Time Attack Team headed to the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Nevada for the 7th round of the Redline Time Attack series. The team hopes that the saying “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” rings true as the weekend was filled with unusual and unexpected problems.
This was Paul Gerard’s first time driving the new race car and the team was hoping to give him a lot of practice time to acclimate to the car. From the very first practice session the problems started and continued throughout the weekend. From brake master cylinders, shifter cables, to alternators breaking off the car, it was challenge just to keep the car running.
The car has been very reliable this year and the team was surprised but worked through all the strange issues that came up. The car severely overheated on Saturday when the alternator bracket broke causing the belt and water pump to stop running.
After patching things together for Sunday it was determined that the engine was running on 3 cylinders due to the overheating on Saturday. Having traveled almost 2000 miles the AMS/NOS Energy Drink Team wasn’t about to give up. Tuner Martin Musial tweaked the tune trying to extract more power out of the hurt engine and a fresh set of BFG tires were put on for the first timed session.
Gerard knew he had to set a fast time right away as the engine problems were probably going to get worse. With only a few hot laps under his belt the whole weekend, Paul laid down a quick 2:18.005 lap. Good thing because after the first hot lap the alternator fix let go right after the start/finish line putting the car out of action. Luckily his time was enough to secure a first place finish in unlimited all wheel drive, 3.5 seconds ahead of the nearest competitor.
The AMS/NOS Energy Drink Team left the 100 degree desert heat behind, exhausted but with a well deserved win.
The final Redline Time Attack will conclude at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana California November 14-15th.
AMS would like to thank our sponsors, without whom none of this would be possible:
- -AEM http://www.aempower.com/
- -Aeromotions http://aeromotions.com/
- -BF Goodrich http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/index.jsp
- -Child Rescue Network http://www.childrescuenetwork.org/
- -Exedy http://www.exedyusa.com/race/
- -JE Pistons http://www.jepistons.com/
- -JRZ Suspension http://www.jrzsuspension.com/
- -Manley http://www.manleyperformance.com/
- -Mishimoto http://www.mishimoto.com/
- -Mitsubishi Motors USA http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/index.do
- -NOS Energy Drink http://www.drinknos.com/
- -Precision Turbo http://www.precisionturbo.net/
- -Prototype Composites http://www.prototypecomposites.com/
- -Status http://www.statusracing.com/
- -StopTech http://www.stoptech.com/
- -StickerDude http://www.stickerdudedesigns.com/
- -Vibrant Performance http://www.vibrantperformance.com/
AMS is the premier tuning/race shop for Mitsubishi’s and other high performance vehicles. With 8 years of racing experience, it’s own in-house marketing/media staff, sales, fabrication, and service facility, AMS knows what it takes to be on top. AMS has accumulated over 40 victories in road racing and hill climbs in 2008, and looks to best that in 2009.
Click Here for Images from the Event.